mail

Gaslamp Landmarks

The Old Spaghetti Factory

Posted: January 6th, 2017 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | No Comments

By Sandee Wilhoit | Gaslamp Landmarks On April 3, 1871, Alonzo Horton sold the southeast corner lot at Fifth Avenue and K Street to W.A Buttrich and G.A. Flower for $1,000. This was an excellent price for a lot only one block from the bay, especially since in the week prior, Horton had sold an […]

From silver screen to sundaes

Posted: December 2nd, 2016 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | No Comments

By Sandee Wilhoit | Gaslamp Landmarks Prior to 1904, the property between 643 and 651 Fifth Avenue was nothing more than a series of small wooden buildings housing a shoemaker, a jeweler, and a cigar and cigarette merchant. In 1904, George J. Chambers, father of famed Olympic swimmer Florence Chambers, purchased the property from L.G. Pratt […]

Casa de Tomás-es

Posted: November 4th, 2016 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | No Comments

By Sandee Whilhoit | Gaslamp Landmarks The property located on the northwest corner of Fourth and Island avenues was originally sold to Edward J. Smith by Alonzo Horton on April 27, 1870, for the goodly sum of $500 in gold coin. Mr. Horton was able to secure such a high price for his real estate, because […]

A tale of two buildings

Posted: October 7th, 2016 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | No Comments

Same time, same block, different stories By Sandee Wilhoit | Gaslamp Landmarks Though they were built only one year apart, the Nanking Cafe and the Manilla Cafe have very little in common. However, they both displayed the growing ethnic diversity prevalent in the Gaslamp Quarter in the early 20th century and which continues today. They also […]

From leeches to lunches

Posted: September 2nd, 2016 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | No Comments

By Sandee Wilhoit | Gaslamp Landmarks The McGurck Block Building, popularly known as the Ferris and Ferris Drugstore Building, was built on the northeast corner of Fifth Avenue and Market Street in 1887. Although the original owner, Col. Edward McGurck, acquired the property in 1876 for $50, he elected not to develop it until several years […]

Horton Grand Hotel: Then and now

Posted: August 5th, 2016 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | No Comments

By Sandee Whilhoit | Gaslamp Landmarks The beautiful Horton Grand Hotel, a Gaslamp landmark, was originally two Victorian hotels: the Grand Hotel and the Brooklyn Hotel. Both were built in the early 1880s and located on F Street. In 1907, the Grand was renamed the Horton Hotel and the Brooklyn was later renamed the Brooks-Kahle […]

Based on a classic and reborn

Posted: July 1st, 2016 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | No Comments

By Jake Romero | Gaslamp Landmarks In 1870, the original half-acre Horton Plaza Park was set aside by Downtown founder Alonzo Horton. The park was constructed across the street from his Horton House Hotel, where the US Grant Hotel now stands. Through the decades, various changes were made to the plaza and in 1908, architect Irving […]

The Nesmith-Greeley Building

Posted: June 3rd, 2016 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | No Comments

By Jake Romero | Gaslamp Landmarks On March 27, 1871, Alonzo E. Horton, the successful founder of Downtown San Diego, deeded a lot to Miss Henrietta Hadson Nesmith for $1,900 in U.S. gold coin. It was an unusually high amount for a lot, at that time. Henrietta married then Lt. Adolphus Washington Greeley, a veteran of […]

The Granger Building

Posted: May 6th, 2016 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | No Comments

By Jake Romero | Gaslamp Landmarks This building, located on the corners of Fifth Avenue and Broadway, is named after Ralph Granger, a native of Connecticut whose name is prominently featured on the main entrance. Prior to coming to San Diego, Granger grubstaked for two German miners in Colorado. These miners would discover the Last Chance […]

The Keating

Posted: April 1st, 2016 | Columnists, Featured, Gaslamp Landmarks | 1 Comment

By Jake Romero | Gaslamp Landmarks On Jan. 6, 1888, George J. Keating acquired the land that the future building that bears his name would eventually be built upon. Keating, a successful partner in one of the world’s largest farm implement and equipment firms, Smith and Keating, came from Kansas City, Missouri, to San Diego with […]